The One Act Festival: Get Bent!
In November 2018, participating companies will present a 10-minute (or less) piece derivative of a classic scene, or song, or even premise, of a show that has always been rigidly gendered and BEND IT like Beckham, man! Ever wanted to modernize that godforsaken monologue at the end of Taming of the Shrew? Do you got it, but don’t think it’s necessary to have T&A to flaunt it? Is George Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolfe? Think 1776 should get an agendered Hamilton treatment? Seven Misters for Seven Sisters?! Flash the birds to Beckett and show that Vladimir and Estragon (or should I say Estrogen, am I right?) ain’t waiting for no man any longer. After all, it’s 2018. Gender is friggin’ dead- or at least as fluid as arsenic and old lace.
WHAT IS THIS??
Beginning with the One Act Festival: Chekhov in 2014, Stage 773 has invited Chicagoland theatre companies to share a stage yearly as part of the Stage 773 One Act Festival. In the spirit of collaboration, cooperation, and community, companies come together to tender a thematic tournament of theater. Whew! Previous participants include Babes With Blades Theatre Company, Organic Theater Company, (re)discover theatre, New Millennium Theatre Company, The Ruckus, Hobo Junction, Red Theater, New American Folk Theatre, Right Brain Project, and more!
- Mondays at 7:30pm
- November 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th
- Do other shows and perform here on the off-night!
By July 15th: Gather your team! Spinball ideas! Dismantle heteronormativity and cyber-yell at your uncle who constantly shares transphobic memes!
…And also, submit your piece to the One Act Festival: Get Bent.
- Full price tickets are $15.00 through the Stage 773 Box Office
- Each performer will receive 2 complimentary tickets.
- Directors and artists directly affiliated with the production will receive 1 complimentary ticket.
- Each company will receive a $3 discount code to offer their patrons, which expires on opening.
- All participating artists receive $1 off drinks at the Stage 773 bar.
Fill out the form below to submit for the festival!
Questions? Concerns? E-mail Meaghan Morris at email@example.com.